Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hearing isn't always seeing

Do you ever just fall into the routine of worship? I was never more aware of just how much I do until this past Sunday. When I walked in the sanctuary I had no clue the worship I was going to experience. Worship where the tears flow more easily than the words. Where you come to your knees in thanksgiving.

When the holidays start to approach at my church, the choir shows up more for the services. Because our church is right on the campus of a seminary, we get a steady flow of young talent and abilities. This past Sunday the choir included what I can only assume was a college student, who during the praise and worship signed the lyrics. I knew the words. The song was familiar. So I sang and watched. When the name Jesus came up in the lyrics, the sign for it, just overwhelmed me. I turned to my left to my husband and he was there with me. The tears ready to flow.

How easily I forget or take for granted who he is. What he is. What he has done. The sign for Jesus, represents just who he is. Any language could recognize it. Pointing to the palms of both hands. He died for me, and I forget. I take it for granted. I sing with no emotion. I just do the routine of it.

How is it that when we experience something like this, we still fall back? I want that kind of worship. I want to praise him in everything. To shout his glory!

That one college student has no clue the impact she had on my little family. It will be a reminder of what I should be seeking.

This isn't the song, but it surely makes the point.



No comments:

Post a Comment