Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 4: A Place to Put Your Feet Up....but not right now

Today I'm trying to create a place where people feel comfortable enough to put their feet up and enjoy and nice long talk and a cup of coffee. Now, this is where I struggle. I don't know if it's the way I grew up or just my idealism of a clean home. I totally want people to feel comfortable when they come in my home, but I don't know where the fine line between clean and comfortable come together.

I grew up in a home where my Mom was a born cleaner. She had certain ways of doing things and she liked them only done that way. So, when it came to my sister and I, we really didn't have to do much in the ways of cleaning. Because we didn't do the way she wanted or would do it, she just did it herself. It was just faster for her to get it done instead. In fact, when I was visiting my Mom's house yesterday and telling her about this challenge, she kind of laughed. Not in the ha ha you're never going to be able to do it kind of way, but in the way that I had to come to it in my own time. My sister and I got a kick out of telling stories about my Mom and her meticulous cleaning escapades. We always knew it was Saturday because we would wake up to the smell of bleach. We couldn't go anywhere until all of her cleaning was done. We grew thinking that it was something that held you back. Maybe that's why I've always done what I want to do, instead of letting cleaning be what holds me back or takes up all of my time.

Here's lies the problem....the problem I've had for years. Finding the balance between cleaning and family. That's really what I'm hoping to take away from this challenge. I don't want to be the person holding my family back from life. 

What about you? How do you make a home comfortable, but not too clean? Where's the balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment